In middle school I had a rather tenacious bully. As the story goes, he was a loser trying to pick on someone else to elevate his own sense of self worth. After my mother died, he was fond of saying "word to your mother to me" on top of his normal pointing, laughing, and tormenting me (especially during lunch--where he was fond of throwing food/wrappers at me).
One day my backpack's zipper decided to crap out and all of my books ended up strewn about the hallway in front of Mr. M.'s shop/tech class. Of course my bully was there to point and laugh. But I was done being bullied. He wasn't laughing when I had him by the neck up against a locker. I simply said "This is the last time you will ever laugh at me." Neither Mr. M. nor the bully ever reported me for what happened.
I'm not a violent person (despite boxing), nor am I an aggressive person. But I've learned to (1) be assertive and (2) stick up for myself.
So why am I saying all this? After looking ofter the June #GoTheDist spreadsheet and talking to some of you on Twitter, it was quite apparent that I wasn't the only one who struggled this month. While my struggle was in getting to the gym and my diet, other people struggled with the "make love of yourself perfect" theme. So we're going to take a step back from that theme and regroup.
Also in celebration of Independence Day (woo hoo U.S.!), I would love for everyone to stand up for themsleves a little bit each day. I especially want to see people do that in conjunction with the June "Make Love of Yourself Perfect" theme -- so if you're standing in front of the mirror and experience a negative thought, stand up for yourself. Stand up for the person you want to be and/or feel like.
Here's the spreadsheet link -- I'll be editing this entry to add a button and some more details.
Grab the button for yourself (copy and paste HTML into your blog)
How to Join:
1. Click on the SUMMARY PAGE (bookmarking it would be a good idea as you will be using it often).
2. Fill out the next available line on the "Summary" spreadsheet (do not use Columns F or G, J or K -- they will automatically calculate once link your sheet).
3. **CREATE YOUR INDIVIDUAL PAGE** (This is a NEW step. Duplicate the "Participant Sheet." If you're comfortable working in spreadsheets you can edit it where it should repeat your personal information. The formula line will look something like "=Summary!A2" -- replace the 2 with whatever line you are on the summary spreadsheet. For =Summary!B2 do the same, etc.).
4. Rename the tab "@[twitter name]" or if you don't have Twitter "[nickname]" (If you want to link your page back to summary spreadsheet, go for it. It's a huge help. Column F will look like this (minus the brackets): ='[your tab name]'!D43 Column J will look like this (minus the brackets): ='[your tab name]'!E43)
5. Fill out the sheet as you wish.
6. Update your own individual page as needed (if tracking is too hard, consider printing out your page and filling it out by hand and updating it online once a week). The total mileage will automatically be updated on the Summary tab as you report on your individual page.
7. Follow #GoTheDist on Twitter for support if you need it or to support others when they do, to announce achievements, and find new/old friends!
8. PLEASE DO NOT DELETE LINES OR TABS! Do not SORT. If you want to add columns, please add them to the RIGHT of the page. Please do NOT move your page around! You CAN bookmark your individual page using your browser to find it easily.