I always wondered why there were no national/major religious holidays in August -- then I realized that my birthday (August 8) should reason enough to celebrate (even on the years it didn't go quite so well). And while I don't have the power to tell you all to take off on Monday, August 8, you have entrusted me with the power to suggest fun and zany ways to spend the month (mwuahahahah power!!).
So with tongue-in-cheek, that's this month's theme. I think the past few months have been kind of serious with the whole self-love theme. I'd love to see people keeping up the self love, but let's look at it from a more lighthearted place (other than staring at ourselves naked in front of a mirror and the subsequent panic):
Celebrate at least one thing every day.
We're coming up on one year of the #GoTheDist Challenge (if you recall, the first month I took it on alone before offering it up to Twitter. For some of us this is old hat, and for others this is new and still a challenge. But since it's my birthday, and I never ask for much, I'm going to ask that everyone dig in, participate, and CELBRATE YOURSELF EVERY DAY. Put it on twitter. Put it on your spreadsheet. Put it in your blog. I want this celebratory mood to be infectious.
How to Join:
1. Click on the SUMMARY PAGE (bookmarking it would be a good idea as you will be using it often).
2. Fill out the next available line on the "Summary" spreadsheet (do not use Columns F or G, J or K -- they will automatically calculate once link your sheet).
3. **CREATE YOUR INDIVIDUAL PAGE** (This is a NEW step. Duplicate the "Participant Sheet." If you're comfortable working in spreadsheets you can edit it where it should repeat your personal information. The formula line will look something like "=Summary!A2" -- replace the 2 with whatever line you are on the summary spreadsheet. For =Summary!B2 do the same, etc.).
4. Rename the tab "@[twitter name]" or if you don't have Twitter "[nickname]" (If you want to link your page back to summary spreadsheet, go for it. It's a huge help. Column F will look like this (minus the brackets): ='[your tab name]'!D43 Column J will look like this (minus the brackets): ='[your tab name]'!E43)
5. Fill out the sheet as you wish.
6. Update your own individual page as needed (if tracking is too hard, consider printing out your page and filling it out by hand and updating it online once a week). The total mileage will automatically be updated on the Summary tab as you report on your individual page.
7. Follow #GoTheDist on Twitter for support if you need it or to support others when they do, to announce achievements, and find new/old friends!
8. PLEASE DO NOT DELETE LINES OR TABS! Do not SORT. If you want to add columns, please add them to the RIGHT of the page. Please do NOT move your page around! You CAN bookmark your individual page using your browser to find it easily.
I'm also quite happy to see how #GoTheDist and #MeFirst can work hand-in-hand. Consider taking the #MeFirst pledge!
So grab your #GoTheDist buttons, use the hash tags for each month, and get out there! We're all behind you!
At the end of the month consider answering these questions:
- How do you think you did over the course of the month?
- Did you overestimate or underestimate your capabilities? Why is this? Is this representative of a larger trend in your life?
- Did you learn anything about yourself while doing this?
- Can you apply what you've learned in ##GoTheDist somewhere else in your life?
- Did you make any new friends through #GoTheDist -- were you able to support each other?
- What was the hardest part of the challenge? (physical? mental/psychological?)
- What do you think you did really well this month? (doesn't have to be about #GoTheDist)
- What do you think you could improve on? (again, doesn't have to be about #GoTheDist)
- No matter the numbers you already entered, are you going to finish strong, or taper off?
- Did you go the distance? And no, I don't mean did you hit 100% of your goal... did you put yourself out there and really try for it? Is 80% still something you can be proud of?