Mixed Decision; Mixed Feelings12:35:00 PM
The other day I received a lengthy letter in the mail from my insurance provider with the ID "Mixed Decision." It began: We hav...
The other day I received a lengthy letter in the mail from my insurance provider with the ID "Mixed Decision." It began:
We have determined the following is medically necessary and eligible for benefits:
22558 -- Arthodesis, anterior interbody technique, including minimal discectomy to prepare interspace (other than for decompression); lumbar
22585 -- Athrodesis, anterior interbody technique, including minimal discectomy to prepare interspace (other than for decompression); each additional interspace
22851 -- Application of intervertebral biomechanical device(s) (e.g., synthetic cage(s), methylmethacrylate) to vertebral defect or interspace.But then, in the middle of the page was this:
Services NOT Eligible for Benefits
20931 -- Allograft, structural, for spine surgery only
The clinical reason for our determination is: Your doctor has asked to do surgery on the spine in your lower back. You have had back and leg pain. We asked your doctor for information about your back problem and the surgery. We have reviewed that information. We have also reviewed your health plans medical policy for spine surgery. That policy says the material your doctor has asked to use to help the bones heal together is not proven to be equal to or better than other products available for your condition. Therefore, the use of this material is not covered. The rest of your lower back surgery is covered.Translation: The ALIF fusion was approved, BUT they probably want me to use an autograph (i.e., a piece of my hip bone) as the spacer for my L5-S1 fusion versus using lab-created or cadaver bone.
If you read my blog entry, "Refuge but no relief," you know that this isn't an easy decision. The minute they slice me open, my back will never be as strong as it once was. Our bodies are amazing machines and science has yet to replicate the intricate beauty and strength of that machine.
There's also a chance of failed back surgery (i.e., the surgery isn't successful in relieving pain/other symptoms) OR that the fusion at L5-S1 creates problems for other discs (especially L3-L4, L4-L5 that are already bulging), as is common with fusions.
My gut says "wait as long as you can and try to get the hybrid surgery."
Why is this? The L5-S1 fusion is going to happen no matter what; it's just a question of when.
The fusion will most likely put added pressure on the L3-L4 and L4-L5 discs, accelerating their degeneration/bulging/herniation. If the Globus Triumph (the technology my doctor wants to use) isn't FDA approved by the time that happens, I'll most likely be looking at more fusions (decrease in range of motion/mobility). Even if the Globus Triumph is FDA approved by then, (1) I may not be a good candidate (because of the progression of the degeneration) and could be disqualified immediately; (2) my insurance may not approve the use of the device because it is too new to them, thus disqualifying me financially (this isn't something I can pay for out-of-pocket).
Like I said, it's a matter of when. The pain is restricting my life in new, fun, and unimaginable ways. My ODI Score has increased (from a 46 to a 52) mainly because I am unable to sit for periods longer than 20-30 minutes without pain (when sitting or when trying to stand up), I have trouble walking (and am ordering a cane for myself), transit is unbearable (car/taxi, bus, subway) for many reasons, and I'm having trouble cleaning my apartment (need to hire a maid). Again, ODI doesn't account for many parts of my life where I'm restricted.
Basically, I prioritize my errands/chores for good days, but on all other days you can find me in bed. I'm in too much pain and too exhausted to do much else, and even if I do other things, I end up paying for it.
In all ways, this is not the life that I want to be living. I want better for myself and right now I'm not sure what that is.